Sunday, June 1, 2008

Heaven


I was going to get a pedicure on Thursday and didn't have anything to read while I was being soaked, buffed, razored, massaged and painted. I stopped by Smith's and picked up The Five People You Meet in Heaven. Is this a book that most people have read? Seems like I've heard the title a lot. Anyway, I couldn't put it down. These were a couple of my favorite quotes from the book:

"Strangers," the Blue Man said, "are just family you have yet to come to know."

Wouldn't it be great if everyone understood this?

The next one is:

Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.

I've understood this concept of the need to forgive others for quite a while. (Definitely haven't mastered it yet.) But I thought this was great wording.

10 comments:

Fairbank Family said...

Sounds like a great book. I will have to get it. I like the pedicure idea too:)

Heidi P said...

Wow, 'hatred eats you from inside'. I wonder what its doing to us when we hate ourselves... interesting.

At Wayne Dyer, he talked about how forgiving actually changes our DNA, wow... awesome stuff, thanks Steph!

Chardell said...

I've heard about this book and always wanted to read it. Now I'm convinced. I have to read it.

Christie said...

That does sound like such a great book. I agree 100% about the hatred. I remember reading something about hatred, and how it is the most passionate emotion next to love. I don't remember the quote exactly, but it was something about all the energy we waste hating. It was very profound.

Anonymous said...

YA HATRED KILLS YOU!!! SOUNDS LIKE A GOOD BOOK.... I COULD GO FOR THE PEDICURE TOO...

carrie said...

I am in desperate need of a pedicure!! ha ha I loved that book when I read it. Someone gave it to Jason for Christmas a year ago, I think. It really makes you think. I picked up a neat little book at Costco over the weekend, too. It's based on the lecture that professor gave to his class.... He's dying, and he was on Oprah. I'm not positive, but I think it's called "The Last Lecture". It's really, really good. It has a lot of really good quotes that make you THINK. :o) Anyway, sorry for the long comment!! I am FINALLY going to bed now..... ha ha Hope you're doing well!!

Anonymous said...

Good quotes for sure....I have heard about that book, but never read it.

Angie said...

I have never heard of this book, but it sounds like one I am going to have to go buy.

Andrea said...

I haven't heard of this book yet. I will have to check it out. It allready sounds like something I would like!!

Heather said...

I read Tuesdays with Morrie (by the same author) - so good (and sad!). I have this book but I haven't read it yet. Yet another book to add to my "To Read" list...

Also, the neighbors across the street put some mail of yours in my box. It's just a couple car registration renewal things from the state. Give me a call if you want to get them.